MENA-SINO Registry Project
Recent MENA-SINO Publications
- Stroke services in the Middle East and adjacent region: A survey of 34 hospital-based stroke services CONCLUSION: This is the first large study on the availability of resources for the management of acute stroke in the MENA+ region. We noted the disparity in stroke care between high-income and low-income countries. Concerted efforts are required to improve stroke care in low-income countries. Accreditation of stroke programs in the region will be helpful.
- Lessons learned in stroke care during COVID-19 pandemic and preparing for future pandemics in the MENA+ region: A consensus statement from the MENA+-SINO CONCLUSION: Stroke care is very complex, particularly in the initial hours after onset of symptoms. A successful outcome requires very close collaboration between clinical personnel from multiple specialties. Preparedness for future pandemics requires the improvement of care plans that allow for rapid assessment of stroke patients and ensuring that regular 'mock exercises' familiarize quintessential services […]
- Decline in subarachnoid haemorrhage volumes associated with the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic BACKGROUND: During the COVID-19 pandemic, decreased volumes of stroke admissions and mechanical thrombectomy were reported. The study's objective was to examine whether subarachnoid haemorrhage (SAH) hospitalisations and ruptured aneurysm coiling interventions demonstrated similar declines.
- Current Recommendations for the Management of Stroke Patients in the Middle East in the Era of COVID-19 Pandemic; Statement from the MENA SINO COVID-19 pandemic has led to a change in the way we manage acute medical illnesses. This pandemic had a negative impact on stroke care worldwide. The World Stroke Organization (WSO) has raised concerns due to the lack of available care and compromised acute stroke services globally. The numbers of thrombolysis and thrombectomy therapies are declining. […]
- MENA-SINO Consensus Statement on Implementing Care Pathways for Acute Neurovascular Emergencies During the COVID-19 Pandemic In the unprecedented current era of the COVID-19 pandemic, challenges have arisen in the management and interventional care of patients with acute stroke and large vessel occlusion, aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, and ruptured vascular malformations. There are several challenges facing endovascular therapy for stroke, including shortages of medical staff who may be deployed for COVID-19 coverage […]
Presenting the PLANE Initiative: Mapping the MENA Stroke Landscape 🌍
Welcome aboard the PLANE Initiative, where we’re taking flight to navigate the vast landscape of stroke-related data in the MENA region (Middle East and North Africa). Our mission is to create a comprehensive Stroke Registry that sheds light on this critical health issue, providing valuable insights and fostering collaboration among medical professionals, researchers, and communities.
🔍 What PLANE Stands For:
Patient Data Insights: Gather and analyze anonymized patient data to gain a deeper understanding of stroke trends and risk factors across the MENA region.
Linking Medical Experts: Connect medical professionals and researchers to share knowledge, expertise, and best practices for stroke prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation.
Advancing Research: Provide a platform for researchers to access a wealth of stroke-related data, accelerating the development of effective strategies and interventions.
Networking Communities: Establish a network of support for stroke survivors and their families, offering resources, information, and a sense of belonging.
Educational Outreach: Raise awareness about stroke prevention and early intervention through community outreach, education, and public campaigns.
Embark on this journey with us to make a lasting impact on stroke care and research in the MENA region.
Farouk Hassan (Egypt)
Seby John (UAE)
Atilla Ozcan Ozdimair (Turkey)
Nadia Hammami (Tunisia)
Faisal Alghamdi (KSA)